headspace Toowoomba offers early intervention services to young people aged 12 to 25 in one youth friendly location. Our services includes mental, physical and sexual health, drug and alcohol support, vocational and educational assistance as well as Community engagement activities. Our Services can be accessed with or without a formal referral. headspace Toowoomba is a safe, confidential environment you can go if you feel that you:
- are feeling down, stressed or can't stop worrying
- haven't felt like yourself for a long time
- can't deal with school/ finding it difficult to concentrate
- are feeling sick or worried about your health
- want to cut down on your drinking or drug use
- want to talk about sexuality, identity or relationships
- are having difficulties with friendships
- have sexual health issues or want to find out about contraception
- are being bullied, hurt or harassed
- are worried about work, study or having money trouble
- are having trouble at home
To make an appointment you can call us, email us or drop in.
- Monday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
headspace Toowoomba is operated by United Synergies. All headspace centres are funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Administration of funding is carried out by the headspace centre’s local Primary Health Network, in this case, Darling Downs and West Moreton (Darling Downs and West Moreton PHN).
Mental Health Services
Mental health workers – which may include psychologists, psychiatrists, counsellors and other workers – that can help if you're just not feeling yourself.
Sexual Health Services
Sexual health screenings on site or links to local services.
Work & Study Services
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with work or study opportunities.
Centres have a range of programs and activities for young people. Just ask your centre what they have on.
GPs can help with any physical health issues as well as issues related to sexual health, drug or alcohol use, relationship problems or feeling down or upset. Your centre may have a GP on site or links to one locally.
Alcohol & Drug Services
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with any alcohol or other drug issue.
Youth Reference Group
A group of young people who help with events and some decision making at a centre. Ask your centre about getting involved.
Accessing our Services
All of our services are at no cost to young people or their family and many are ‘bulk billed’ with your Medicare card.
If you are unsure if you have or are eligible for a Medicare card go to https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/who-can-get-medicare-card to check if you meet the criteria and follow the prompts on how to get a Medicare card.
If you are not eligible for a Medicare card please contact headspace Toowoomba on 07 4639 9000 to discuss alternative options.
GPA Accredited General Practice
Our practice is accredited by the GPA after undergoing comprehensive evaluation achieving a GPA Plus rating; meaning we have achieved the highest accreditation rating for complying with the standards of general practice set by the RACGP. Call us on 07 4639 9000 to book an appointment with our Bulk Billing GP.
Youth Engagement Subcommittee
Are you aged between 12 and 25? Do you have something to say concerning the needs of young people and the challenges they face? Join the headspace Toowoomba Y.E.S crew and make a difference for youth in your local community.
What is the headspace Toowoomba Y.E.S crew?
headspace Toowoomba is providing anyone aged 12-25 with the opportunity to be heard and to take action to improve the health and well-being of young people.
There are a number of roles you can play in the headspace Toowoomba Y.E.S crew, including:
- Creating, developing and leading a project in your local area
- Developing and running promotional activities at local events
- Promotional consultation and development for service providers, young people and the general community
- Provide advice, research and evaluation of headspace Toowoomba services
- Consultation around resource development like factsheets, brochures and promotional material
- Peer support and mentoring
- Media Spokesperson
By getting involved you will:
- Meet a range of new people
- Have fun in a team environment
- Be a voice for young people in relation to health, wellbeing and social needs
- Provide feedback on how to improve youth mental health services
- Develop new skills
- Make a difference to headspace Toowoomba and your community
- headspace will provide training to support you in taking on this opportunity
How do I get involved?
headspace Toowoomba invite you to join our Youth Engagement Subcommittee (Y.E.S) crew . Getting involved is easy, simply contact Alaina our Community Engagement and Youth Officer at email@example.com
Alternatively if you have any questions or would like more information, you can contact us during opening hours on 4639 9000.
See Role Description
Support for schools
Working collaboratively with schools is a priority for the team at headspace Toowoomba. We would like to compliment the great work already being achieved in schools and work with you to continue to improve the mental health and wellbeing of young people.
How can we work together to support the mental health and well-being of young people?
We support schools in promoting mental health with young people and their families in a number of ways. Some these are listed below and are featured in the drop down on the request form:
Service Presentation: headspace Toowoomba offers service presentations and accompanying resources to enable those supporting young people to make appropriate referrals to our service.
Youth Presentation: through the delivery of interactive presentations headspace Toowoomba aim to promote the services we offer through the centre, mental wellness, enhance awareness of mental health problems and build young people's capacity to seek help early.
'hype 4 headspace' Green Dress Day: allocate one of your free dress days to promote mental health with your whole school community. We will provide work instructions and promotional material to make it easy and seamless. With gold coin donations going to the Youth Engagement Sub-Committee at headspace Toowoomba to support the work we do in the local community.
Event pop up: if you are holding an event, headspace Toowoomba are happy to attend and support your event with an information pop up and activity.
How to make a request:
If your school would like to engage with headspace Toowoomba please contact our Community Engagement & Youth Officer Alaina at firstname.lastname@example.org
headspace fact Sheets: headspace have a number of fact sheets available on the website in printable PDF format. These files are able to be downloaded and printed at your convenience.
SAFEminds: The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD) has partnered with headspace, the National Youth Mental Health Foundation to develop SAFEMinds: Schools and Families Enhancing Minds, a comprehensive learning and resource package that will enhance the capacity of school communities to effectively identify children and young people with early signs of mental health issues, offer school-based interventions and refer appropriately when needed.
All of the SAFEMinds resources can be accessed through the DEECD website
On the right hand site of the screen you can create an account (with your edumail/isv/ceo email address), this will give you access to the full range of SAFEMinds resources.
The course page is divided into four tabs. Please click on the SAFEMinds Online tab to access the interactive videos and other SAFEMinds Online materials.
Support For Services
Building relationships with existing service providers in the area is a priority for the team at headspace Toowoomba. It is essential that we work together to support the mental health and well-being of local young people.
We currently provide a range of engagement options for services in the area. Some of which are listed below.
Service Presentations: does your service want to know more about headspace Toowoomba and how to make appropriate referrals to our service? We offer service presentations and accompanying resources to services supporting young people. These opportunities also offer our team an opportunity to find out more about your organisation and processes.
Event Pop Up: if your service is planning an event which has a youth mental health and well-being focus headspace Toowoomba can attend as a stallholder. Our pop up stall includes resources, merchandise, information and we can run a youth engagement activity if appropriate.
Making a Request
If your service would like to engage with headspace Toowoomba please contact our Community Engagement and Youth Officer at email@example.com
Click on the link to download printable versions of all the available headspace fact sheets
We also have a bi-monthly Newsletter, if you would like to go on our mailing list please contact Alaina at firstname.lastname@example.org
Organisations we are proud to partner and work with:
United Synergies Toowoomba Youth Service
Toowoomba Rugby League
Carbal Medical Services
Goolburri Aboriginal Health Advancement Co.
St Vincent de Paul Society Toowoomba
Darling Downs Hospital & Health Service
Child and Youth Mental Health Service
Youth Connect- Toowoomba Regional Council
Lives Lived Well
University of Southern Queensland
Toowoomba Hospital Foundation
Empire Youth Arts
Toowoomba Central Discount Drug Store
Department of Child Safety
Department of Housing
Meet The Team
headspace Toowoomba staff are dedicated youth health professionals who can support you in a friendly, confidential and non-judgemental environment.
Scott - Clinical Centre Manager
- Favourite food? - Vietnamese rice paper rolls
- Dream Pet? Whippets
- Superpower of choice? - Flying
- Thing I love doing most? - thinking
- My '3 wishes to change the world' would be? 1. The world was secular and science based, 2. The world was free of animal cruelty and nature was valued, 3. The world was more caring and health and happiness was a priority
Cortnee- Clinical Lead
- Favourite food? This is a hard one - I love all food except blue cheese!! Yuck
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Living life to the fullest and working with young people helping them to bring about change to enhance their wellbeing
- What are your professional areas of interest: Youth Mental Health, Advocacy and Suicide Prevention, Intervention and Postvention
Tamikah - Access and Intake Worker
- Favourite food? - Dinner
- Hobbies? - Watching Reality TV & cuddling dogs
- Favorite Radio Station - Triple J
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? - Hopefully I have received my Hogwarts acceptance letter by then...
Phillip- Access and Intake Worker
- What are your areas of professional interest? Alcohol and other Drugs, Mental Health and Social Support. I've had a variety of jobs and also worked in hospitality, welding, tiling and painting before getting into Social Work.
- Least favourite food? Mushroom Soup
- What is your favourite thing to do on the weekend? Motorcycle riding
Leanne - Senior Administration
- Favourite food? - Chocolate...or Cheesecake
- Dream Pet? - Chimpanzee
- Thing I love doing most? - Spending time with family & friends.
Gabby - Practice Administration
- Superpower of choice? - Ability to pause time...or mind reading.
- Dream Holiday? - Relaxing in a Villa in the Maldives.
- Favourite Colour? - Green
Gemma - Practice Administration
- Superpower of choice? - any superpower would be awesome!!!
- Dream Holiday? - Relaxing Bora Bora in an over water bungalow
- Favourite Colour? - Blue
Peita - Practice Administration
- Who is the person you most admire? - Mum
- Favourite Place? - Amish Country in the States
- What do you do on weekends? - Fishing
Dr Violeta- GP
- Favourite food: Mexican corn
- Dream pet: My Pomeranian
- Three wishes: 1. cure the world of disease, 2. reduce animal cruelty, 3. equality in all aspects of life