Let's Talk about Mental Health: A guide to conversation with our family and carers
Let's Talk! is a project that headspace Sunshine's Youth Advocacy Group (YAG) started in recognition of the importance of having open conversations about mental health with family and carers, and the difficulties of doing so when there are generational, cultural and language barriers. Drawing from their own experiences, the YAG hopes that the development of this resource can offer some guidance around navigating the tricky generational and cultural gaps between their Asian peers and their parents/carers to bridge conversations about mental health.
Section 1: Overview of Mental Health
Section 2: Preparing for the conversation
- 2.1: Why is it important and what are some cultural and generational factors that we need to consider before we start the conversation with our parents/carers?
Section 3: Skills and tips on navigating the conversation
- 3.1: Starting the conversation
- 3.2: During the conversation
- 3.2.1: A Vietnamese Glossary
- 3.3: Finishing the conversation
- 3.4: What to do after the conversation
Section 4: Translated factsheets for your family
- Explaining how headspace can help (Arabic/Chinese/Croatian/Dari/Farsi/Greek/Hindi/Italian/Spanish/Vietnamese)
- Understanding mental health for parents/carers (Vietnamese or Chinese)
- Understanding anxiety (Vietnamese or Chinese)
- Understanding depression (Vietnamese or Chinese)
- Understanding trauma (Vietnamese or Chinese)
- Tips for a healthy headspace (Vietnamese or Chinese)
Other helpful translated Vietnamese resources:
Other exciting CALD projects in the community
The Vietnamese Community in Australia: Victorian Chapter is carrying out an exciting project from the Federal Government aiming to bridge the intergenerational gap within the Vietnamese Community. This will be done through a series of videos aimed at understanding different perspectives on Vietnamese-Australian dual identity, culture and values between family members of different generations in 4 different families and how that affects their communication and how they live their lives.You can find this playing live on their Youtube channel C media-VCA-Vic - subscribe so you don't miss out!Cộng Đồng Người Việt Tự Do Úc Châu - Victoria đang thực hiện một chương trình được tài trợ bởi chính phủ liên bang nhằm thu hẹp khoảng cách giữa các thế hệ. Điều này sẽ được thực hiện qua một loạt video, chúng tôi cố gắng tìm hiểu sự khác biệt giữa các thế hệ trong 4 gia đình.Chúng tôi rất hân hạnh để được thông báo cho các cô chú rằng video đầu tiên phỏng vấn gia đình của Cô Trâm Ngô vào thứ tư ngày 31 lúc 7g30 tối trên đài C Media vca vic trên YouTube. Chúng tôi sẽ phát tờ quảng cáo với chi tiết để các cô chú có thể vào xem. Mọi chi tiết, xin liên lạc John hoặc Elisa.
Arabic and Swahili Wellbeing project at headspace Wollongong
- The Centre of Multicultural Youth's Reverb project!
Do you have a story you want to share? Feedback you'd like to give? Some words of wisdom and tips you'd like to provide? We'd love to hear it!